Friday, December 8, 2006

do you listen or wait to talk?

Um, I think I do the former. I really hate people who do the latter. It's really one of my biggest pet peeves and will turn like into dislike over the course of one conversation.

Seriously, it's like, I get it. You're not interested in what I have to say or maybe something I said at the beginning of my sentence made you think that you have an opportunity to share that really great story of yours. Great, but can you at least pretend to be interested in mine.

All said, I'm sure I'm guilty of waiting to talk. I try not to do it, though, but sometimes I get lazy around old friends.

They discussed it NPR this morning. They were doing a piece on cocktail party etiquette and Steve Inskeep ascribed that quote to Pulp Fiction. For the life of me, I can't remember where in that movie anybody says that line. Probably Mrs. Wallace says it...seems like something she would say.

Submitting a draft of my paper to the advisor today. Can't wait to see what she has to say. Hopefully it's all positive, but I can handle some constructive criticism.

No comments: